Thursday, January 19, 2012

January 20

Most days I wish I could sit down and write, but life, particularly studying for my Master's degree in Occupational Therapy and working at FBC Gainesville, gets in the way. When I finally do get more than a few minutes away from my responsibilities, of course there is not one subject which interests me in sports to write on at length tonight.

My favorite television show is PTI, Pardon the Interruption for those of you not as well versed in ESPN jargon. On the show, hosts Tony Kornheiser and Michael Wilbon debate the day's biggest sports stories. Since I have not yet reached their status in sports media, nor do I possess the television or radio medium in which to express my opinions, you reliable readers reap the rewards of my free time and are subject to a blog post.

Ed Reed's "C'mon man!" face
- “I think Joe was kind of rattled a little bit. I think a couple times he needed to get rid of the ball. It just didn’t look like he had a hold on the offense.”

These are the comments Baltimore Ravens safety Ed Reed said of Joe Flacco, the Ravens four-year starter at quarterback on Monday during a SiriusXM NFL Radio interview. Big deal. Flacco was facing one of the NFL's best defenses, and he did depend on his traditionally strong Baltimore defense for the win. But they did just that, won and advanced to the AFC Championship. Reed, a future hall-of-famer, knows this may be his last shot at one more ring and was trying to motivate his teammate. In Reed's defense, Flacco has been shaky in his eight postseason starts (6TDs to 7 Int). On top of it all... they are playing a Bill Belichick-coached team this weekend. Keep reading to see how that turns out.

- Canyon High in Draper, Utah will open its doors in the fall of 2013 and one thing is for certain. They will not be known as the Canyon Cougars. The reasoning? The school board decided the big cat mascot might be offensive to some middle-aged women. The board also claimed its colors and mascot were too close to that of in-state school Brigham Young. Never have I associated BYU's, Houston's or Washington State's team name with a slang term towards women. Now I'm afraid it will be my first connection. The board settled on Chargers, which if offensive to weather and confusing with San Diego's NFL Team.

The NFL is not usually a part of my "The Weekend That Will Be" during football season but in the absence of the college game here are some bonus predictions: New York Giants over San Fransisco 49ers and New England Patriots over Baltimore Ravens, setting up a rematch of the Super Bowl XLII.

Also, if you would not mind saying a couple of prayers this weekend for me and all of those helping with FBC Gainesville's Discipleship Now, I would greatly appreciate them.

No comments:

Post a Comment