Saturday, November 6, 2010

The Weekend that Will Be

First and foremost let me wish a happy birthday to the most sports knowledgeable grandmother I know. Grannie, I hope you have a great one!

Secondly, I am sorry that I was not able to provide a breakdown of the action from last week. I have been working on a huge paper for one of my classes and every time I sat down at the computer writing did not sound like much fun. Nonetheless, I am in Rome this weekend, sitting in front of a fire, and enjoying a warm cup of coffee from an Arkansas Razorback mug. Life is good. Here are the picks for the weekend.

TCU vs. Utah- It feels like everything is against the team from Fort Worth in this one as they have never won a game in Salt Lake. The Horned Frogs from Texas Christian have the best defense in the country so far this season allowing less than nine points a game and only thirteen in their last five games. As the saying goes defense wins championships and it will to day too as TCU wins this game on their way to another Mountain West Conference title.

Alabama vs. LSU- The game to day will be Alabama’s hardest in the stretch before the Iron Bowl. This game could very easily become a slugfest with the defenses that will be playing today. It’s the kind of game that gives the SEC the stigma it has around the country, tough, hard hitting defense with an offense that just needs to score a time or two. The advantage to goes to Alabama because of its running back tandem of Mark Ingram and Trent Richardson and the Tide roll today.

Arkansas vs. South Carolina- Here is the upset special of the week. I know it is a little hard to believe I have the Hogs winning, again but I can’t help it and you couldn’t either if you grew up in my house. I do have data to back up my prediction. Ryan Mallet is coming off of record breaking performance last weekend, albeit Vandy. South Carolina has the 105th rated pass defense in the nation. Granted the Razorbacks lost their best receiver last week in Greg Childs, Mallet has no problem spreading the ball around as he proved last week with completions to eight different receivers. Watch a high scoring game tonight on ESPN as they call the Hogs loud and proud in Columbia tonight.

Arizona vs. Stanford- Another big game for Coach Jim Harbaugh and the Cardinal as they try to separate themselves from the pack, more specifically the Arizona Wildcats, in their quest for the last PAC-10 title ever. I was a little off last week when I said they will be played closely by the Huskies of Washington, winning 41-0. Now I am a believer. They win this game easily with the second best quarterback in the country and Heisman darkhorse leading the way in Andrew Luck.

Other Winners (In Bold)-

Baylor at Oklahoma State- Baylor is still on a high from beating the hated Texas and does not bounce back quickly enough.

Nebraska at Iowa State- No repeat of last year but it is worth it just to see Iowa State Head Coach Paul Rhoads give an emotional post game speech.

Northwestern vs. Penn State- JoePa gets win number 400… Wow.

Missouri at Texas Tech
Hawaii at Boise State- Maybe not but you have to believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment