Saturday, June 11, 2011

One Week Down

Last night I completed my first week working at The Gainesville Times. After one week do I dare say this may be my favorite summer job? Last summer's job of working for Samford definitely had the best benefits (lived with and near friends, free rent, better pay, some free meals), but this summer at The Times is going to be a good one. I update schedules and prepare the agate part of the newspaper when I get there, write a story or brief depending on the day, and then I sit at my cubicle watch and talk sports with the sports writers. Finally I have some sports conversations in Gainesville, not too many of those when you go to an all girls school.

Yesterday, I almost got my chance to get my name on an article. It was going to be the headline of the sports section. During editing we noticed the press release had been sent a month late and my story got moved to the third page and a "From staff reports" author. My time is coming. I will not do this for every article I write, but these are the first two I had in the paper that made it online. Mostly to my family, but if you would like for me to send you links to stories I write I can copy you an email and send you the links. Let me know.

Article 1
Article 2 (almost headliner)

So after one week of work I am taking next week off and chaperoning the FBC Gainesville Youth as we head to Passport Camp in Wingate, North Carolina. It is the same camp that I helped staff two summers ago (another amazing summer job). Looking forward to completing the cycle: camper, staffer, and now chaperone.

The one negative about going? I am going to miss the last two games of this year's NBA Finals, which are as anticipated, if not more than, any other Final series I can remember. Not getting to warch a Finals series featuring the Mavericks and Heat is normal because the last time these two teams met our family was in England.

No comments:

Post a Comment