Sunday, October 17, 2010

Breaking Down the Weekend

1. It is clear that I am not a professional. I know my grandmother said she wrote my picks down and was going to see how I did. I would not be offended if you lost that piece of paper. I mean really Graham. Could you have been more wrong? Yes I could have I nailed the Kentucky upset and the Alabama win. Steve Spurrier… Was imitating Les Miles and risking the game worth losing the game? Other than that it was a rough first week. I clearly need more practice. Kudos to those teams that I did not pick, especially a Mississippi State team that will have something to say about who wins the SEC West.

2. Watching the games this weekend was not as much fun as last week. Missed the family surrounding me as we cheered on one of the most boring Arkansas wins. Which leads me to my next point. Can Arkansas win an important game on the road. This Cam Newton character is legit. He does what he wants when he wants. I was very impressed and am now a believer in his abilities. Does Arkansas win the game if Mallet stays in? Not sure. Tyler Wilson looked as good as most any quarterback in the country in a back-up role, except his counterpart on the other team.

3. It is clear that Gary Daneilson and Vern Lundquist are still not over Tim Tebow. Their obsession is sickening and I had to mute them in the fourth quarter to stop hearing the comparisons of Cam Newton to Tebow. The only thing worse during that broadcast was the officiating from SEC officials. It's bad guys. Some of the calls that were made, on both sides of the ball mind you, were just poorly made. Both of the fumble calls against Arkansas and the pass interference call against Auburn were poor excuses for officiating.

4. I am pretty sure I could write another page about what happened in that game (cheap blocking, the Bobby Petrino-Gene Chizik relationship, or the lack of defense), but I digress... We now know that Nebraska is just not quite ready for the big stage and that showed in the shellacking they got from Texas. It was clear that Texas is used to the big game atmosphere and Nebraska simply has not been there enough. Maybe next year in the Big Ten when you can still recruit Texas speed and play the Ohio power.

5. Speaking of the Big Ten, there was a classic in Madison, Wisconsin. That looks like a fun place to watch a game and outside of the SEC and the classics (Michigan, Notre Dame, Rose Bowl, etc.) I am adding it to my "Stadiums To Go To" list that Pops and I will conquer when he doesn't have to work on Sundays and I am old and rich. Sounds like a dream...

6. Does anyone want to win the ACC? You still get a BCS payout to win the conference and your best team probably wouldn’t go .500 in the SEC West, where 5 of 6 teams are ranked in the AP top 25. Maybe the ACC and the Big East can get an all-star team together and play State.

7. It was worth being tired in church this morning to watch the overtime game between Washington and Oregon State. Gutsy, but understandable, call to go for two and the win.

8. Every game I watched there was mention made of the beautiful weather. Come to think of it every where in the country had perfect football weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment