Monday, January 24, 2011

Stegeman Collesium

Most people who know me know that I have this weird obsession with stadiums and the whole atmosphere around them, no matter who the home team is, or even if there are people in the seats or not. Some people like fine clothing, shoes, purses or cars. My weird little obsession is stadiums. This past weekend I had the privilege to go to my first UGA basketball game and came away impressed with the whole experience (of course, much of my enjoyment had to do with the fact I got to spend the day with my sister). Anyways, I had always heard that Stegeman Coliseum was not much to see as far as basketball stadiums go, but something about it felt homey.

The Bulldogs hosted the Bulldogs from Mississippi State and handedly defeated them, which makes every home crowd happy. From the student section that extends through out most of one half of the stadium to Rocky climbing into the rafters, and American Speedo guy with  shakeweight in hand, I came away not only with the satisfaction I had seen a college basketball game but entertained as well. There was never a dull moment.

The crowd had some clever chants (in which most everyone participated, students and all):
-"Fight! Fight! Fight!"- to MSU forward Renardo Sidney who was previously suspended this season for fighting with his own teammate on national TV over a seating situation.
-"I-sa-iah! I-sa-iah! I-sa-iah!" (along with other football recruits' names)- to Isaiah Crowell, a top running back recruit on his official visit to Athens
-"We want Buck-lin!"- to the small white guy who finally got in the game and had he scored Stegeman Coliseum may have fallen apart. (I can say with pride this was my role, too, when playing for the Rome High School Wolves)

It was a great day of brother-sister bonding, capped off by dinner at Transmetropolitan and a stroll through downtown Athens. I came away impressed again by the Classic City and will be back soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment